Personal Information Collection Statement
This Statement is made by HONG KONG REITS ASSOCIATION LIMITED (“HKREITA”, “we”, “our” or “us”), in accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) of the Laws of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (“PDPO”). This Statement intends to notify you why your personal data is collected, how it will be used, to whom the personal data will be transferred and to whom data access requests are to be addressed.
Types of Personal Data Held
We hold four broad categories of personal data, namely applicants and members’ personal data, events or activities participants’ personal data, employment-related personal data and website and services users' personal data.
Collection - Why We Collect Your Data
From time to time, we may collect your personal data to provide our services to you and in an effort to improve your user experience of our services. You are not obliged to provide your personal data to us but if you do not, we may not be able to provide you with some of the information, materials, services of HKREITA and you may not be entitled to join some or all of our events and/or activities of HKREITA.
The supply of the personal data is obligatory, you MUST provide your personal data to us if you want us to provide the information, materials, services to you or if you want to join some or all of our events and/or activities for which you are applying.
If you do not provide the information required in the membership application form, we will be unable to register the corporation or organisation for whom you are representing as a corporate or associate member or register you as an individual member or a representative of a corporate or associate member. We would also be unable to invite you to participate in our events, training courses and or activities of HKREITA.
If you are under the age of 18, you must seek your parent or guardian’s consent before providing any personal data to us.
Use - How Your Data May Be Used
Personal data held by us will be used:
- to facilitate the daily administration and operation of our business and improvement to our services as an association for members (including the staff and/or representatives of corporate and associate members) (collectively “Service Users”);
- for processing membership applications, subscriptions or renewals and the record thereof, booking of services, events and activities, and billings, keeping record of guests’ visits and handling media and general enquiries;
- for identity verification, matching and/or records and for maintaining communication with our Service Users and updating of their profiles and for members’ communications and organisation of events and activities;
- for handling enquiries and feedbacks for better services to Service Users;
- for internal statistical and analysis and preparation of reports;
- for keeping Service Users updated with news, activities and events and the latest developments of HKREITA.
- for making disclosure so required by law, regulation or court order of any jurisdiction and / or so requested by the government, regulatory or law enforcement authority or administrative organisation within or outside Hong Kong Special Administration Region;
- for establishing legal claims or defences; obtaining legal advice; and / or exercising, defending and / or protecting the rights of properties of HKREITA, HKREITA’s affiliates and contractors, agents and third party service providers, including identifying contracting or bringing legal action against any person who may be interfering with such rights or properties (whether intentionally or otherwise and / or whether any other third party may be harmed or property of any third party may be damaged by such interference).
Use of Personal Data in Direct Marketing
We intend to use your personal data in direct marketing and we may not so use your personal data unless we have received your consent (which includes an indication of no objection to the intended use).
We would like to use your name and contact details (such as telephone number, email address and/or correspondence address) for marketing the following services, events and activities of HKREITA through various communication means such as direct-mail, email, telephone, SMS, printed matter, newsletter, brochure and leaflets. Such services, events and activities include:
- events for the promotion of the industry of real estate investment trusts in Hong Kong;
- social events and activities for members of HKREITA;
- seminars, webinars and courses offered to members of HKREITA;
- joint promotion initiatives undertaken by the association; and
- research or survey on issues of common concern in the industry of real estate investment trusts in Hong Kong.
You may, at any time without charge, choose to opt-out from us using your personal data for direct marketing by writing to us at Hong Kong REITS Association Limited, 25th Floor, Jardine House, 1 Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong, (Attention: Corporate Data Privacy Officer), or by email to [email protected].
Disclosure/ Transfer of Your Personal Data
Personal data held by us will be kept confidential but we may disclose/transfer such data to the following parties (whether within or outside the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) for the purposes set out in this Statement:
- subsidiary and/or affiliates (if any) of HKREITA (collectively “HKREITA Entities”) in connection with the operation of our business, events, services and/or activities;
- professional advisors, service providers or contractors of HKREITA providing organisational management services and event organisation services;
- any agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides administrative, telecommunications, computer, payment, content, information or other marketing and promotional services to us in connection with the operation of our business, event, services and activities;
- any person under a duty of confidentiality to us or who has undertaken to keep your personal data confidential and use them in strict compliance with the requirements of the PDPO (including but not limited to accountants, legal advisors and other advisors);
- any government, law enforcement or administrative organisation;
- any person to whom we are under an obligation under law to make disclosure;
- those parties who we consider it necessary to do so in order to protect and defend our rights and properties, comply with applicable law, regulations, including but not limited to judicial proceedings, court orders or legal services; and
- any actual or potential assignee(s), transferee(s), successor(s) or purchaser(s) of all or any part of HKREITA’s businesses or of all or any part of our rights in any business or assets of HKREITA and/or its subsidiaries (if any).
Personal Data Security
We strive at all times to ensure that your personal data will be protected against unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use. We have implemented appropriate physical, electronic and managerial measures to safeguard and secure your personal data.
Your personal data will be kept in the office of HKREITA or by agent, contractors or third-party service providers engaged by us (whether in Hong Kong or overseas) and will be accessible only to our authorised staff, employees and service providers on a “need-to-know” basis. However, we give no warranty against third parties hacking into the data.
Unless prevented by law, in the event that HKREITA provides your personal data to agent, contractors or third party service providers they will be placed under a duty of confidentiality to HKREITA and will be required to use your personal data consistent with the agreements entered with HKREITA and in accordance with this Statement and in compliance with the PDPO.
They will be required to ensure adequate security of your personal data and will be required not to keep your personal data longer than necessary.
Retention of Data
We will keep your personal data for a reasonable time to fulfill the purpose for which the data was collected or comply with the relevant rules, regulations and laws of Hong Kong. Personal data which is no longer required will be destroyed.
Data Access/Correction Requests
Under the PDPO, any individual has the right to request access to and correction of his or her personal data held by us. In accordance with the terms of the PDPO, HKREITA has the right to charge reasonable fees for the processing of any data access or correction requests.
If you wish to access or correct your persona data held by us, please send your request to:
Corporate Data Privacy Officer
Hong Kong REITS Association Limited, 25th Floor, Jardine House, 1 Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong or by email: [email protected]
In case of discrepancies between the English and Chinese versions of this Statement, the English version shall apply and prevail.
NOTE: This Personal Information Collection Statement is subject to change from time to time.